This is my recollection of the meeting today as far as it affects Sidmouth.
- EDDC had omitted the housing at Woolbrook, but had continued with the 5Ha of Employment land at Sidford.
- EDDC councillors Stuart Hughes, Christine Drew, (by letter), were recorded as being totally against the Employment Land proposal,
- EDDC councillor, P Sullivan, (on Development Management Committee), was also recorded as being strongly against the proposals.
- STC Councillor Graham Trotman was also strongly against.
- Reasons given were;-
- No perceived need or evidence
- In AONB
- Traffic and Infrastructure problems.
- Alexandria Road site underutilised
- Access to AE could be improved.
- Both Claire Wright and Robin Giles, (EDDC independent councillors), spoke against the proposals. The arguments against were;
- All consultant’s reports came to the conclusion that there was no need for retail or Employment Land. Every piece of evidence was against it.
- East Devon Business Forum , (businesspeople), declared hem as “flawed” and recommended increased allocations
- Growth rate over estimated
- All seemed OK until Kate Little EDDC Head of Economy), gave a very partisan speech, saying that “ there was a need because developers had indicated their strong interest to her, and that Traffic was ok. I believe that this was special pleading on behalf of Developers
- M Williamson, Chair of DevConMan, said that the next 4 weeks were our opportunity to prepare a plan that we were all happy with; he recognised the problems.
- Councillor Troman also said at the end of the discussion on Sidmouth, that he was aware that a Supermarket Developer was interested in the Alexandria Road site.
Sylvia Brownlee, Sidmouth Chamber of Commerce