Save Our Sidmouth


2 Comments

Sidford employment land scandal will not go away, despite adoption of Local Plan

EDDC’s Local Plan was adopted last night, with acceptance that it has many flaws (the Inspector had demanded around 200 ‘main modifications’).
The seemingly irregular circumstances surrounding the insertion into the Local Plan of the 5 hectare employment land on an AONB part-floodplain at Sidford, will now pass to Scrutiny.
Before the vote last night on the adoption of EDDC’s Local Plan, Cllr Marianne Rixson (EDA Ind, Sidmouth/Sidford) asked the following questions, which remain unanswered:

‘I would describe the whole shambolic process leading to the inclusion of Sidford employment land as the Hokey Cokey.

First it was in, then it was out, then it was in because it was never really out at all, was it? Why do I say this? Because no mitigating evidence was submitted at the time the final draft was submitted, so the inspector had no option but to make his decision on the evidence before him. At last week’s DMC meeting, Ed Freeman admitted that he had NOT been instructed to submit further evidence.

Now what we all need to know is:

1. Who failed to instruct Ed Freeman to add mitigating evidence for the withdrawal of the Sidford site?
2. Why were Members not advised that supporting evidence was vital if the late stage vote to delete the Sidford site was to be even considered by the Inspector?
3. Did Cllr Hughes know that he had to submit additional evidence. If not, why not?

The Council changed their mind, and voted for the deletion of the Sidford site for good reason – not least, because this particular employment land contradicts their new Local Plan’s policy of reducing in-commuting.

My question to the Leader on his Hokey Cokey Sidford plan is ….

– Who failed to instruct officers?
– Who failed to inform Members (including Cllr Hughes) and
– WHY were they not informed?’


1 Comment

Key decisions about this region’s future, at EDDC special meeting at Knowle (Thursday, 28th January, 6.30pm).

Decisions made at TODAY’s Extraordinary General Meeting (EGM) are key to the future of East Devon, and the wider (‘Heart of the South West’) region.
Everyone living, working or visiting here, will be impacted by the District Council’s Local Plan, and by EDDC’s involvement in Devolution.

The Heart of the South West, HotSW, (Devolution) strategy is powered by the not-yet-built Hinckley Point nuclear power station, part-funded (one third) by China (Please see link to breaking news, below*.) The Local Enterprise Partnership (LEP) of big businesses will be working in tandem with local authorities. Thursday’s meeting may approve delegated powers for Leader Paul Diviani, to represent EDDC for the Devolution bid to Government.

The meeting begins with public question time (maximum of 3 minutes per question).

The following links are provided for your information:
V12 Devolution Prospectus LowRes

HotSW LEP strat eco plan

*http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-35415187


Leave a comment

Some confusion over Sidford employment land?

Was the Sidford employment land proposal ever taken out of EDDC’s Local Plan?
Chair of the District Council, Cllr Stuart Hughes (Ward Member for Sidmouth), is quoted in this week’s press as saying it was.
But in the same front page article, the Leader, Paul Diviani, says it was not.
Clarification on the issue is made, in the same report, by the respective Chairs of Save Our Sidmouth, and of the East Devon Alliance. Here’s what was said: ViewFromSidmouthLP26thJam2016